What Is Mobile BI?
Mobile BI, or mobile business intelligence, refers to the ability to access business intelligence-related data from a remote area. This includes the dashboards usually found on mobile devices, business metrics, and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators).
A Brief History Of Mobile BI
The concept of mobile BI first emerged in the early 1990s, the time when mobile phone usage began to grow. Early supporters of mobile BI immediately realised that mobile phones had the potential to make the distribution of data critical to business to remote workers or mobile easier.
However, it was not until the introduction of the smartphone that mobile business intelligence began to receive more attention.
How Does Mobile BI Relate To Business Intelligence?
The phrase ‘business intelligence’ first started receiving attention when Howard Dresner defined it as the “concepts and methods to improve business decision making by using fact-based support systems”. Ultimately, BI is about having the correct data at an optimal time in order to make the right decision.
With mobile BI, mobile or remote workers that need access to business-critical data can receive the information right away.
Issues With Mobile BI For Software Development Companies
Although there are many factors that go into the selection of a mobile BI architecture, there are a few elements that should be considered basic requirements for any type of organisation:
- Mobile Platform: The two types of mobile platforms are client-based applications and web-based clients. The type of platform you choose will affect all factors listed below.
- Security Information: Security information should be accessible to users and prevent external threats, loss, or leaks.
- Integration With Existing BI and Corporate Solutions: The mobile BI platform should integrate with existing BI platforms and other enterprise software applications.
- Administration: Tools should be available to enable extensive and effective administration of the mobile BI platform’s features and functions.
Challenges That Software Development Companies Need To Face
There are certain challenges that mobile BI creates for software development companies. These include:
- Integrating all mobile solution components such as data management processes, users, platforms, and devices
- Bringing together the above components in a corporate mobile strategy
- Ensuring user adoption by providing quick and effective deployments, along with a platform that provides the ability to manage all mobile applications from a single place, adjust to new needs, and scale
The companies that face these issues need to solve these challenges in order to achieve successful platform adoption.
Mobile BI is an effective tool, and with the rising popularity of smartphones, it has grown extremely popular. Although convenient, the phenomenon poses challenges for software development companies. However, it is possible for companies to overcome these challenges and grow as a whole.